Nelly Furtado annouces $1 million donation at We Day!


We are so excited to tell you that Grammy award-winner and new Free The Children ambassador Nelly Furtado has just announced at We Day Toronto that she will be donating $1,000,000 to Free The Children to build a second girls secondary school in Kenya.
It's a cause that really matters to the singer, who explained to the We Day crowd, "I believe in children, I believe in youth, and I believe in empowering girls."

Nelly traveled to Kenya earlier this year and, after getting a first-hand look at the lives of girls in Kenya - many of whom are not able to attend school - Nelly was moved to take action. "I'm giving this gift because I was inspired by my visit to Kenya," she said. "I left a part of my heart in Kenya and I can't wait to go back."

Nelly is also encouraging all of you to help out too. Her donation comes in two parts: an initial $500,000 and another 500,000 to set up a challenge grant with which she will match every dollar youth donate to Free The Children, up to $500,000. It's all meant to help young women in the Middle East and North Africa.

"At the end of the day this is about girls empowerment and about sustainability."

The crowd at We Day got a special look at what Nelly's contribution means to Kenyan girls when Susan, a girl that Nelly befriended while in Kenya, made a surprise appearance onstage. Wearing her new school uniform, Susan thanked Nelly saying, "Many of my friends in Africa do not go to school. But your gift will end this trend."

To learn more about Nelly Furtado's generous donation and what it will mean for Free The Children's work in Kenya, visit http://www.freethechildren.com/nelly/
Source: http://www.freethechildren.com/blog/2011/09/nelly-furtado-annouces-1-million-donation-at-we-day.php
Previous
Next Post »
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment